Leo

My whole life all my family has owned is dogs, my dad sometimes talks about a cat he owned before we were born but my mom made him give it away once the kids came. So when I decided I wanted a cat it was a shock to my parents, and they were so reluctant. At the time I was living at home, just transferred to a new college, and was, to be very honest, going through a depressive state. Since high school, my mental health is something I have struggled with immensely. My only friends were in schools that were hours away, I had my boyfriend but he was also busy working and had his own stuff to take care of, but I was lonely and feeling kind of lost. That was when I met someone in a class who had a litter of kittens who needed homes. I went to see the kittens and honestly they were very tiny, mange ridden, and sad looking. I feel in love with the sweetest splotchy little kitten and begged my parents for two weeks to let me bring him home. I always thought of it as me saving him, but he continues to save me.

This tiny kitten became a family member instantly, my parents loved him, my dogs loved him, everyone was obsessed. It was kind of funny to see my whole family become 'cat people', my dad even ordered him 2 cat tree's (for one tiny kitten!!). This cat brought so much joy into my life, he was the reason I woke up, all I thought about during the day, and the thing I couldn't wait to get home to and love on. But as he grew up, he learned about me too. He learned when I was sad and needed a distraction, I would be moping around on my bed scrolling mindlessly through my phoning hoping to find something (I'm not sure what exactly) when he began to come up to me and nudge my phone. He would push until the phone was out of my hand and my focus was on him, he wouldn't stop until I was giving him all my attention, whether that was petting him or loving on him or even playing a quick game. He knew that's exactly what I needed. He even began meowing as a form of communicating with me, say what you want but I 100% believe this cat is talking to me. When I would leave my room and go out of his sight, he would meow until I would respond so he could find me. If I went in the bathroom and closed the door, he sat outside and meowed until I let him in, it became our little routine, he knows in the bathroom he gets alone time with mommy. I'm not sure if he does it because it makes him feel safe but I know it makes me feel safe and I know he can sense that relief I feel when he's there.
He is now 1 & 1/2 years old and my absolute soul animal, he is my designated emotional support animal. We do have two other cats but Leo and I just have that special connection, it doesn't mean I love the other ones less, Leo just knows me better. He continues to know when I need a break and need to break my focus on whatever it I think is so important to slow down and pay attention to him. He never fails to make me laugh, he even learned how to play fetch so we could have another special game his brother and sister don't understand. He comes into the bathroom with me, even when I'm showering, he never wants to leave my side, my little protector. At night, he sleeps a the side of my bed (on my side because he knows the difference) so he knows if I get up to go anywhere. When I wake up he's looking at me almost waiting to know that I'm okay. Everyday I'm learning new things about Leo and how he loves me.
I don't know how I got so lucky, I wasn't expecting this cat to become anything more than a pet, I just thought I was saving him from a sad home. But man did this cat save, and he continues everyday to save me and consistently pulls me out of whatever hole I'm in. Last night I was crying, knees pulled to my chest, head down, sobbing. Leo walked up, squeezed between my chest and legs, sat down, and rubbed his face against mine (almost as if he was wiping my tears), this was a new thing that he hasn't done before. I was shocked, that somehow this cat knew exactly what I needed, some snuggles. I stopped crying almost immediately and began loving on that sweet boy and felt so thankful for him making me stop and slow down and realize that what I was crying over was not worth it. He consistently makes me realize that my anxiety is blurring my mind and I need to calm down and think about it after.
Leo is the slice of my life that brings me peace in all things.


Comments

  1. Leo is the most handsome kitty!! I'm so happy he brings so much joy to you and your family's life! Cats are awesome! I love my chunky kitty, Morty Miester! Keep your head up Jenna! You're fabulous! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! give morty miester some pets from me!

      Delete
  2. It's such a gift when our pets save us as much as we save them. I think that's why we were both put on earth at the same time. This is such a sweet post, Jenna. I can see a photo book here. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so wonderful! We all need a super hero! I'm glad Leo is yours! He sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how animals (especially those we rescue) can be so in-tune with our emotional needs. I also feel like my rescues have rescued me. I"m glad you have Leo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Kerbs! I'm glad we both have rescues who helps us as we help them :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To finding the good

Hawaii

Sunday drives